Saturday, February 21, 2009

No! This didn't happen to you too!

This week, a colleague of mine came to me inquiring about one of my little darlings being suspened! I was totally confused! I had not given him a write up, nor did I know about any misbehavior from his other classes! What misbehavior had taken place that I was not aware of? It must be a mistake!

I went searching for the Assistant Principal to inquire about the incident. She was not in her office, so I walked across the hall to the home of our fearless leader.

"Ms. Leader, quick question, would you happened to know why "The Man" was suspended? He's not here today, but I just assumed he was sick until I was told by Ms. FaFa that he had a refferal."

"Yes, I suspended him!" responded our Leader.

"Oh. OK. Well may I ask what happened, because I was not aware of any incidents arising."

She proceed to tell me the following story:

"Well yesterday, there was an incident of the bus. Ms. Assistant Leader went on the bus to relieve the situation, he was being very rude and disrespectful. She had to take him off the bus, and brought him to my office to call his mother. When he entered my office, he was yelling and screaming at Ms. Assistant Leader, smacking his lips and rolling his eyes. I told him to change his attitude and he refused and was rude and disrespectful to me! Once his mother showed up, he continued to be disrespectful to her, and continued to have an attitude with me. So I told him he was suspended for two days, until he learned some manners! A student can not disrespect their Principal like that, rolling his eyes and smacking his lips."

"The Man" being disrespectful to an authority figure. Shock and awe! I tell you, Shock and awe!

"Well Leaders," I proceeded, "Welcome to my world. I get disrespected every day by "The Man". If I am not cussed out by him, it is one of my other darlings that have to save face infront of their peers. I've written him up several times because of his attitude, why should this time be any different?"

"You just can't come into the Principal's office carrying on like that and being disrespectful."

"What did his mother say about his suspension?" I asked.

"She just said that she knew his attitude would get him in trouble one day. He was being extremely rude to her as well."

"Well, I'm glad she knows that it's not just me. And that I'm not just picking on him."

"No, I will not accept that behavior."

"Um, I hope you understand that I don't either. But smacking his lips and rolling his eyes is a daily occurence with "The Man". If I would write him up for every offense I would spend my days just writing refferals."

"Well, you just don't do that to your Principal."

With that I left, learning a valuable lesson:

A student my cuss his/her teacher out daily, rolling his/her eyes, smacking his/her lips. He/She may threaten to kill teachers and other students. Violently thrashing about the classroom, and proposing to attack anyone who gets in their way. They may run out of class, tripping over the garbage can and act like complete lunatics. But if you disrespect a principal, only then will you have the consquence of suspension.

Gee, I must have been absent when they taught that one in my education classes!

No comments: